Seven extensive clinical studies [3,4,5,8,9,11,12] were conducted from 20-76 subjects looking across various health statuses (healthy, men with late onset hypogonadism, stressed, mountain bikers, elderly) showed hormonal benefits within normal ranges and was safe. Physta® may also be considered as a natural alternative to Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT).
Four clinical studies [8,9,10,11] with up to 109 subjects showed improvement in various measures of Quality of Life (QoL) scales such as SF-36, POMS and AMS. Results indicate significant increase in physical function, vitality and feeling younger (through reduction of Aging Male Symptoms, AMS scores). It has also been shown to increase fat free mass in overweight subjects, BMI > 25kg/m2 .
Three clinical trials [8,9,10] have shown improvement of anxiety and weakness related domains in AMS. A recently published study  showed improvement in stress profile and mode states via POMS. They concluded that Physta® supplementation is an “effective approach to shielding the body from the detrimental effects of "modern" chronic stress, which may include general day-to-day stress, as well as the stress of dieting, sleep deprivation, and exercise training”.
Tongkat Ali has documented traditional use in women for post-partum application to support recovery and energy. In a clinical trial looking at active elderly women , Physta® has been shown to strengthen and restore balance for optimum energy and libido. Findings were consistent with another clinical trial of Tongkat Ali in middle-aged women .
Early studies in sporting and physical performance of Tongkat Ali [1,2,7] is consistent with more recent finding on Physta® with regards to increasing muscle strength , improved body measurements ; fat free mass . A study  also indicates that supplementation of Physta® at high amounts are safe for sporting use.
− In-vivo micronuclease assay (OECD GLP)
− 1 Generation Reproductive & Development Screening Test (OECD GLP)
− AMES & Cytotoxicity Study (OECD GLP)
− Acute, 14 Days (OECD GLP)
− Subacute, 28 Days (OECD GLP)
− Subchronic Oral Toxicity, 30 & 90 days (OECD GLP)
4. Talbott, S., Talbott, J. Negrete, J. Jones, M., Nichols, M. and Roza, J. (2006). Effect of Eurycoma longifolia extract on anabolic balance during endurance exercise. Journal of International Society of Sport Medicine 3 (1): S32
5. Tambi, M.I (2009). Nutrients and botanicals for optimizing men’s health: Examining the evidence for Eurycoma longifolia jack, the Malaysian Ginseng in men’s health. Asian Journal of Andrology. Vol. 11(5):25-95.
7. Sarina, M.Y. (2009). Effects of strength training and Tongkat Ali (Eurycoma longifolia) supplementation on strength and muscle size in middle-aged women. Asia-Pacific Conference on Exercise and Sport Science International Sports Science Conference.
8. Tambi MI, Imran MK, Henkel RR (2011). Standardised water-soluble extract of Eurycoma longifolia (Tongkat ali), as testosterone booster for managing men with late-onset hypogonadism? Andrologia doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0272.2011.01168.x. pg 1-5.
9. Effects of a Proprietary Freeze-dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia on Sexual Performance and Well-being in Men with Reduced Sexual Potency. Udani J, Gruenwald J, Miller M, George A, Mufiza M, Abas A (2011). Abstract presented at the ‘Natural Supplements: An Evidence-Based Update’ conference by ‘The Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine’ held on January 20-22, 2012 at The Hilton San Diego Bayfront, San Diego, California
10. Shaiful Bahari Ismail, Wan Mohd Zahiruddin Wan Mohammad, Annie George, Nik Hazlina Nik Hussain, Zatul Mufiza Musthapa Kamal, and Eckehard Liske (2012). “Randomized Clinical Trial on the Use of PHYSTA Freeze-Dried Water Extract of Eurycoma longifolia for the Improvement of Quality of Life and Sexual Well-Being in Men,” Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 2012, Article ID 429268, 10 pages. doi:10.1155/2012/429268
11. Talbott SM, Talbott JA, George A, Pugh M (2013) Effect of Tongkat Ali on stress hormones and psychological mood state in moderately stressed subjects. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2013 May 26;10(1):28. [Epub ahead of print]
12. Henkel RR, Wang R, Bassett S, Chen T, Liu N, Zhu Y, Tambi MI (2013) Tongkat Ali as a Potential Herbal Supplement for Physically Active Male and Female Seniors—A Pilot Study. Phytother. Res. Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI: 10.1002/ptr.5017
13. George A, Liske E, Chen CH and Ismail SB (2013) The Eurycoma Longifolia Freeze Dried Water Extract – Physta® Does not Change Normal Ratios of Testosterone to Epitestosterone in Healthy Males. J Sports Med Doping Stud. 3:127. doi: 10.4172/2161-0673.1000127